Based on a large passenger consultation, the latest Land Transport Masterplan 2040 published by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has retained three priorities:
1- A transport network that is convenient, well-connected and fast
- 20-Minute Towns: all door-to-door journeys to the nearest neighbourhood centre using Walk-Cycle-Ride modes within 20 minutes;
- 45-Minute City: 9 in 10 peak-period door-to-door journeys using Walk-Cycle-Ride modes in less than 45 minutes;
- Walk-Cycle-Ride modes: preferred way to travel, making up 9 in 10 of peak-period journeys.
Several action areas underpin this strategy:
- Expansion of rail network and active mobility paths
- Traffic light optimization, dynamically routed services
- Creation of transit priority corridors and deployment of automated driving for buses
- Open and contestable market for taxis and private hire cars
- Bringing jobs closer to home through development of employment centres outside CBD (e.g. Jurong and Punggol innovation districts)
- Data based technology (e.g. app to book a combination of transport modes as a single service)
The environmental footprint and safety of Singapore’s mobility system were also among the concerns expressed during the consultation.
- Dedicate more space to public transport, active mobility and community uses.
- For a healthier environment, increase use of clean propulsion systems (e.g. electricity, hybrid engines) for buses and taxis fleets; install equipment to reduce resident exposure to noise.
- Reduce land transport-related fatalities through education, infrastructure design and enforcement measures.
3- A transport ecosystem characterised by gracious behaviour and inclusive infrastructure
- Care more about each other’s needs while commuting.
- “Barrier-free travel” for people with reduced mobility (seniors, pregnant women, wheelchair users and parents with small kids).
- Upskill transport workers so that they can assist all types of users.
Kindly note that this page is a summary of the LTA's report and all the data and information come from their document. Read full LTA’s Land Transport Master Plan 2040.